Saturday, December 5, 2009

Podcasting in the Spanish classroom

While searching for a good podcast to use in my classroom, I was amazed about the number of podcasting that are on the wide web. I found a podcast that I can use in my classroom toward the end of the year to prepare my students with the listening comprehension part of the proficiency exam.
News in Slow Spanish is a podcast with very basic vocabulary word and Spanish grammar. The hosts of this podcast are a native speaker from Spain and a native speaker from Latin America. They discuss the weekly news, grammar, and expressions, and much more in simplified Spanish at a slow pace so that when students are listening they can understand the words and sentences better.
I could use their podcasts as a listening practice for my students, to increase their comprehension abilities and teach culture connections at the same time. Listening to the podcast will allow my students to hear a different Spanish accent besides my own. I believe that this podcast could have great potential in my Spanish classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Yomaira,
    The link to Slow Spanish is broken so I can't access it. Also you needed to post about a specific episode with that set of podcasts.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yomaira,
    I just notice that your tags look like one loooong tag instead of individual words. You need to insert a comma after each word or phrase when you are adding tags (labels). I just wanted you to know for future reference.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yomaira,
    I was now able to access the site. I only spent a short time listening and my impression was that although the speaking pace was good, the topics such as current news would include a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary for Spanish III students. However, you are the best judge of your students' proficiency. I hope you find specific podcasts that will work in your classroom.
    For this mod you were supposed to choose one specific episode (topic) to blog about. Your post is interesting, but it is about the website as a whole.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete